BENEFITS OF HERBAL RINSES
If your dealing with breakage, start incorporating herbs into your regimen. You can make this a weekly addition or a monthly addition. You can start with the simple method of doing an herbal rinse after your conditioner. You can leave it in or rinse it out with cool water. Herbs that are good for breakage are: basil, burdock root, elder flowers, fenugreek, hibiscus, hops, nettle, and rosemary.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil
- Turn off heat, add 2 teaspoons of the herb of your choice
- Cover and allow the herbs to steep for about 15-20 minutes
- Remove the herbs and strain through cheesecloth, an organic paper towel, or a fine sieve
- Let cool
- Pour entire mixture over your hair after rinsing out conditioner
- You can rinse out or leave in. Try it both ways to see which method works best for your hair.
Benefits of the herbs mentioned above: Basil - magnesium in basil helps protect hair from breakage; stimulates hair follicles, increases scalp circulation and promotes hair growth
Burdock Root -silica and phytosterols help soothe irritated scalp conditions (i.e. eczema, dandruff, psoriasis); decreases breakage and repairs hair; strengthens hair follicles
Elder flowers - soothes an irritated scalp and softens brittle hair
Fenugreek - stimulates blood flow to the roots; source of natural proteins
Hibiscus - softens the hair; seals the cuticles; and the mucilage helps with detangling
Hops - stimulates scalp circulation; conditions the hair; and adds a nice shine to the hair
Nettle - stimulates the scalp, improves circulation, and minimizes hair loss; astringent properties; and helps promote a healthy scalp Rosemary - encourages hair growth by improving blood flow to the scalp; it shine, body and softness